SELinux Attack!

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:29:18 UTC 2007

on 10/12/2007 8:19 PM, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 10/12/07, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>    This morning I started the computer and it stopped for 10 minutes
>>> because it could not find cups. It talked about applying iptables but
>>> had "never matched protocal" and when it finally came up Thunderbird
>>> was broken.
>> As others have pointed out, this seems much more like a DNS problem than
>> an SELinux problem.  The clearest indicator that the problem was not
>> SELinux is that SELinux is a security system; if it denies some access,
>> it will continue to deny that access.  When SELinux is a problem,
>> programs won't take longer to function, they will fail immediately.
>>
>> While your problem seems to be solved, and you believe that changing
>> SELinux was the solution, I think it's unlikely that SELinux was the
>> only knob you frobbed to fix your system.
>

> There has been ZERO proof that SELinux is the cause of any problem
> here. This is a public list, please do not allow FUD to spread.

The regulars here know exactly what is happening here. We tend to ignore
this. However, some don't read the 'don't feed the bears' signs in public
parks. Those are those that reply, trying to help, the helpless.  <sigh>

It is the 'Newbies' on the list that will get the wrong idea(s) from this
sort of thing.

BTW - The 'normal' culprit is the 'latest kernel update'.  ;-)
--

  David