Hosts file

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 13 07:04:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 08:29 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> But, having things done automatically when you are unaware they are
> going to be done is never helpful, IMHO.

Yes, and no...  If it works, and the user wouldn't have been able to
figure things out, it would have been helpful to them.  Which tends to
be the point of things like DHCP, network manager, and so on...

> In this case, if indeed the hosts file is being overwritten by DHCP,
> it is certainly not what the OP anticipated or wanted since he is left
> with a blank hosts file.

Though, I'd say that's a fault condition.

The sorts of things that a DHCP client can and can't do are user
configurable, by customising "/etc/dhclient.conf".

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.