SELinux alleged Attack!

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Oct 13 12:58:51 UTC 2007

> Vinayak Mahadevan wrote:

>> let the machine  run for some days and then let us know your
>> experience with the machine.

>    So far so good. But I would like to know why SELinux did this. And
> what do I need to do to to make SELinux work on this machine? There seem
> to be others that use it and it works without a problem.

If selinux is to blame for something, you always get a short AVC message
about what was denied.  You can find these AVCs both on VC1 (during
boot/initscripts) and in /var/log/messages.

Put selinux back in permissive mode and copy the AVCs here.  If there
are tons of them, just copy a representative sample.

# grep avc /var/log/messages

Also FWIW, if the story is that your symptoms exist in permissive mode
but not in disabled, you're really saying there is a bad and somewhat
unlikely bug in selinux.

-Andy