stupid sendmail

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Oct 13 21:42:37 UTC 2007

Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On a laptop on which I have been trying out F8 test3 I decided to
> not use my standard postfix/mutt/fetchmail/procmail setup but make
> do with claws-mail instead.
> So I just left sendmail (not needing it) with the default install
> configuration.

I'm also using F8 test 3, with the default sendmail configuration.

> To my surprise I see constant error messages when getting mail from
> Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at localhost.localdomain>
> Namely:
> - Tried to mail output of jon 'cron daily', but mailer proces
>   (usr/bin/sendmail) exited with status 65
> - The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>   root
>     (reason: 553 5.5.4 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Real domain name
>      required for sender address) (expanded from: root)

I don't see that problem in my logs:

Oct 11 12:59:09 herald sendmail[30907]: l
    9BJx9m6030907:
    from=<root at herald.private.dragonsdawn.net>,
    ...relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
Oct 11 12:59:09 herald sendmail[30906]:
    l9BJx9fO030906: to=root, ctladdr=root (0/0),
    ...stat=Sent (l9BJx9m6030907 Message accepted for delivery)

Use 'rpm -V' to check your installation:

# rpm -V sendmail
S.5....T c /var/log/mail/statistics

Then make sure that your sendmail.mc still lists localhost.localdomain
as a LOCAL_DOMAIN:

# grep ^LOCAL_DOMAIN /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

Possibly, remake your sendmail.cf:

# cd /etc/mail
# make

Finally, make sure that localhost.localdomain is still listed in
/etc/hosts.  I think I've seen at least one report on the list that the
hosts file was emptied out, and the other day mine was, too.  I haven't
yet tracked down what might have caused that, but perhaps yours has been
emptied as well.

> Wouldn't it be neater to configure sendmail to perform these simple
> duties without these hiccups.

It's supposed to be.  You've found a bug.  Thus is the life of a tester. :)