SELinux Attack!

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Oct 14 21:06:07 UTC 2007

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:24:59 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

>     I have learned a lot about SELinux in the past week. It turns out
> the simple fix is to just turn it off. But it is possible I have
> learned to live with SELinux turned full on and what to do if there
> is trouble.
>
>     This all started when I had to turn on SELinux to use a device,
> so I did and there was no problem. So I left it turned on. Then one
> morning I turned on my computer and instead of booting clear up in
> just one minute, it stopped when init tried to turn on "cups". It
> stayed there for 10 minutes! My thoughts were, how did I screw up the
> file system so bad? So turned off the boot and booted up in the
> rescue mode from a CD, and did #fsck /dev/sdb5 and it said there is
> nothing wrong.

I too had SELinux issues. Mine were of my own doing though. I soon
found out the easies way to get my box to boot was as Karl mentioned,
boot from the CD and rescue it.

I mounted the drive (as suggested) but simply edited
the /etc/selinux/config file with a simple

SELINUX=disabled

Bingo - that solved that, rebooted and all was good. What I did next
was simply tar up the /selinux directory from my lappy and then applied
the tarball to my desktop.

Went back into SELinux and had it enabled and set it to relabel on next
boot-up.

All seems fine after a week. Not sure how I mucked mine up, but I did
and this is what I did to correct my fat-fingering.

--
Best regards,
Chris