Running Wireless and Wired eth connections at the same time

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 15 02:34:33 UTC 2007

sam wrote:

> I have a laptop that's connected to the 'net via the wireless port. It
> works. I also have the eth0 port that I use to connect to another box
> that's not connected to the 'net...
>
> so
>
>    internal box  >>>>laptop >>>>> internet
>                    (X)       (Y)
>
>   X - eth0
>   Y - ath0
>
> Each of the connections work.
>
> My question, how do I set them up (if possible) so I can have them both
> working at the same time. As it is now, it I have them both active, I can
> only access the connections to the 1st one that was active..
>
> The nics are on separate IP addresses..
>
> I've been looking high/low to try to figure this out. I need to accomplish
> this, as I'd like to update the internal computer with Fedora update rpms
> via yum, which requires internet access.

I may not have understood the question,
but I would use two different subnets, say 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.*
for the two connections.

If you are not using dhcp you can do this by specifying the IP addresses
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-[ath0,eth0] .

I think many people have two (or more) connections active
on the same computer.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366