attempting ip forwarding... i think!!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Oct 15 11:49:11 UTC 2007

sam wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I have a laptop that's connected to the rest of the network via the wireless
> port. It works. I also have the eth0 port that I use to connect to another
> box that's not connected to the network.
>
> so
>
>   internal box     >>>>laptop >>>>>  rest of network (internal/internet)
>         eth0       (eth0)   (ath0)
>
>    Internal Box eth0:192.168.2.99
>
>    laptop
>          eth0: 192.168.2.33
>          ath0: 192.168.1.33
>
> Each of the connections work.
>
> I've set up separate subnets on the laptop, as this appears to be the only
> way of being able to be able to have both eth0/ath0 active, and
> communicating at the same time.
>
> Using the laptop, I can currently access both the box, and the network at
> the same time.
>
> However, using the box, I can only access the laptop. Pinging to the rest of
> the network, results in "host unreachable", which is expected.
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out what has to be set on:
>  either the Internal eth0 nic,
>  or the laptop eth0 nic,
>  or both the Internal box/laptop
> to allow the Internal box to be able to access the rest of the network.
>
> I've been looking high/low to try to figure this out. I need to accomplish
> this, as I'd like to update the internal computer with Fedora update rpms
> via yum, which requires internet access.
>
> Information that I've come across on the 'net refers to
> IPTables/Route/IPMasq/etc....
>
> I've tried to setup iptables on the laptop, to do ip forwarding based on
> articles i've seen. I've implemented:
>
>     iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>     /etc/init.d/iptables save
>
> when i then use the Internal Box, to try to access a box on my network, or
> the internet, i'm still restricted to only being able to access the laptop.
>
> any thoughts/comments/pointers would be helpful, and appreciated.
>
> thanks

    With Google look for Linux Networking-HOWTO and d/l it. It needs to
be read. Networking is hard. But what you want to do is going to require
a root to be made between your LAN and the Internet.

    If you fall asleep reading you can buy a cheap home rooter that will
do what you need :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User