gnome-terminal disappearing problem.

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 15 22:54:28 UTC 2007

On 15Oct2007 15:28, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 14:21 +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
| > Aaron Konstam wrote:
| > > It is a mystery. There is something I can type on the keyboard that
| > > makes the gnome-terminal that is active disappear.
| > >
| > > Can any one suggest what that is?
| >
| > exit
| > OR
| > Ctrl-D
| >
| I was looking for a more exotic answer,but I guess it is possible I
| wanted to type D and I typed the Ctr rather than Shift.

In some modern shells you can turn that off (I don't myself) or require
more than one ^D to convince the shell you really meant it. And you can
tell some terminal emulators (dunno about gnome-terminal) to not close
when the running process exits. It won't save your shell but it will
keep the terminal around for inspection.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

No good deed shall go unpunished!       - David Wood <davewood at teleport.com>