Running Wireless and Wired eth connections at the same time

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Oct 17 02:52:24 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Maybe I am wrong, but I believe You need to setup eth0 as a bridged
>> network connection. There is a howto about it in www.tldp.org :-).
>
> You are.
>
> The laptop needs forwarding enabled:
> 10:13 [summer at numbat ~]$ grep ip_ /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
> 08:19 [summer at numbat ~]$
> Change that to 1. "man sysctl"
>
> Hosts on each side need route set so the can find the other. "man route"
>
> Use of tcpdump on the laptop can help sort out where packets are being
> lost. "man tcpdump"
> Something like this:
> tcpdump -i any host a and host b
> Hosts  a and be are on opposite sides of the laptop.

He is only wrong is that you do not have to set up a bridge. But a
bridge would work. There is more then one way to do things. Using
bridging instead of two subnets and forwarding rules has some
advantages, depending on exactly what you are trying to do. It has
definite advantages if you have more then one machine on the wired
side of the laptop, and you want the machines on the wireless side
to easily talk to them. Using bridging, you can put everything on
the same subnet. You should also be able to use one DHCP server and
DHCP for the entire network. (DHCP packets should travel across the
bridge without any problems.

I am not sure, but I would expect it to also use less resources on
the laptop, because you would only have to examine incoming packets
for the bridge IP address. Everything else can be passed to the
other interface(s) of the bridge. But you also have the option of
writing IPtables rules to limit this.

Mikkel