SELinux last straw

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:22:49 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> Turn off SELinux and you may actually be simply medicating the
>>> symptoms, not treating the root cause.
>> Yes, but there doesn't seem to be an exact science here, with weekly
>> updates being needed that break some things for some people...
>
> We have no evidence of that, at least not in the general fedora list.
> Maybe in the fedora-testing list.

Umm, OK... I guess this thread doesn't exist.

>> I think there is a good argument for understanding and using the simple
>> traditional unix security mechanisms that have served well for the last
>> 30 years until SELinux is stabilized to a point that it doesn't cause
>> surprises - especially if you run things that aren't included in the
>> distribution.
>
> Please don't start this crap again.

I'll stop it when there is a methodology for someone to solve the kind
of problem that Karl reports.  With traditional unix security a few
simple checks can determine the status and any similar problem reported
to this list would have an immediate response with the fix or a test to
identify the problem.  With this, we not only do not have an answer, in
the months this thread has continued, not only is there not a fix, no
one has produced a diagnostic test to even identify the issue.

How are you supposed to determine the 'correctness' of a given setup?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com