GRUB Question

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Oct 17 18:34:55 UTC 2007

John Pierce wrote:
>> No I still think the correct thing is to ignore the boot sector on sdb
>> and just add a normal kernel booting stanza in the grub.conf on sda that
>> refers to the kernel on sdb. I now realize you may have to have a
>> softlink from /etc/grub.conf on sdb to the grub.conf in /boot on sda.
>>

> Well, I solved the issue by having the mandriva installation place the
> boot loader in the first sector of sdb1 and chainload that sector.
>
> You do bring up some interesting thoughts though, with the grub.conf
> file being from two different distros how would the mandriva update
> handle the stanzas for fedora.
>
> A soft link might be the way to go though.

    I think chainload IS the proper approach. I need to know more about
the need to put the second system boot sector in like /dev/sdb1 so
chainload will work. I hope this not required but it sure can be :-(

    There can not be a need for any link to another place. I'm sure Grub
alone can do the job if you can find the way. The current manual is
terrible.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User