GRUB Question

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 17 23:35:26 UTC 2007

John Pierce wrote:
>> I read the thing for chainload and it seems you need:
>> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>> makeactive
>> boot
>
> Tried that one, got Error 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting.
>
>> It's trivial: I don't have one set up at present, but it's like this
>> stanza booting Windows:
>> title Windows XP Professional
>>      rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>>      chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>
> Tried this one, got Error 15: Invalid or unsupported executable format.
>
> I am going to re-read the info grub again and see if I can make heads
> or tails of it.

I did tell you to translate. the fact that that's a working example from
my laptop does not mean it works exactly as coded for yours.

A skill you need to acquire is to boot with grub without a menu. Use the
documentation to create a grub floppy or CD and learn to use it. You can
then boot almost anything.

--

Cheers
John