Ipods

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Oct 18 00:48:31 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 20:05 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Indeed.  I know that amarok use libgpod for its ipod services.  I'd be
>> very interested in finding out if there is a bug someplace in libgpod
>> that's causing your trouble, because I'd like to get it fixed.  If you
>> have time for fiddling and want to try and debug this, let me know.
>
> Sure.  I'd like to know what's going on.

Sorry for the delayed reply. :)

>> Is this on FC6 or F7?
>
> Well, both.  My desktop machine at the office is F6, 32-bit (fully
> updated).  On one of my F7 machines which I just tried (x86_64,
> Intel Core Duo), the "Configure Amarok" shows the device and shows
> sdb3 as an Apple iPod media device.  It shows up in /media as "Rick
> Stevens's iPod" (with spaces).  However, clicking on the "Connect"
> icon causes a "Media Device: No mounted iPod found".  Now, since the
> automounter mounted it in media, I don't have a "mount" command
> configured in Amarok.  Could that be the issue?

I don't think so, but I'm not terribly familiar with amarok.  Here's
what I did to read my ipod in Amarok.

I deleted ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc and ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/
before I started this, so I was starting fresh, I think.  I also
mounted my ipod at "/media/Todd's iPod" to test the spaces.  I used
the same mount options as hal mounts the device with, except the
uhelper=hal option.

Then:

1) Connected my ipod.  Hal detected and mounted it.

2) Started Amarok.  It detected a media device and pointed me to the
Media Devices pane in the configuration dialog.

3) Went the the Media Devices pane and selected Apple iPod Media
Device from the drop down.

4) Clicked Ok and waited a minute.

5) Eventually, Amarok finished reading my iPod (after a minute or so,
it has a lot of music and album art, so it takes a bit of time in
gtkpod too. :)

So it seems to work here.  Is it possible that you've got nothing
selected as the plugin for the ipod?  If not, I'm not sure where the
problem may be.  It doesn't seem like there's an obvious bug in amarok
or libgpod.  There may, of course, be a non-obvious bug causing this
though. ;)

What happens if you manually mount the ipod without any spaces in it?

> On my F7, it's libgpod-0.4.2-1.fc7, both i686 and x86_64 versions
> (machine is an Intel Core Duo).

Yup.  And that's a release from January 2007.  libgpod releases a lot
less often than many other projects.  I'm working on getting it
updated for F-7 now.  Assuming the maintainers of the other packages
that use libgpod agree, I'll put it in updates-testing soon (fingers
crossed).

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise
enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.
    -- Edward Abbey