NoMachines client access to Gnome on F7

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 18 04:49:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 17:46 -0700, J. Alex Aycinena wrote:
> Also, from the Vista machine, I can reference my F7 box by either its
> IP address or its name (with ping, for example, or using the NX
> client); either works. However, from the F7 box, or from another FC6
> box, I seem to only be able to use IP addresses; neither seems to
> recognize names other than their own. The 2 Fedora boxes and the Vista
> machine are all connected to a router and get assigned their IP
> addresses from the router. Why can the Vista machine see the names of
> the Fedora boxes but the Fedora machines can't resolve any names? Can
> they be configured somehow to get name resolution from the router? Or
> is there a better approach?

There's a chance that the Windows boxes are using Windows networking to
work out name resolution.  What you need is to have DHCP and DNS servers
tied together.  Some routers do not do that, but you haven't told us
which model.  If yours cannot do that, you can shift the DHCP and DNS
serving role off the router to a computer.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.