SElinux and hald are not playing nice in FC7

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:19:12 UTC 2007

On 10/18/07, Guy Fraser <guy at incentre.net> wrote:
> I was not able to get FC7 to automatically mount any of the
> USB hard drives I have been using for years.

That doesn't make sense since FC7 hasn't been up for a year, and your
USB drives can't be that special. Has this been on just one machine?

> I Googled numerous times to find a solution, and the only thing
> I could determine was that 'hald' was not working properly. I
> checked and it was not running.:^( I Googled some more and was
> not able to find anything, and the logs were not indicating why
> 'hald' was not running. I perused the init scripts and
> attempted to start it with them, but it kept inicating that it
> failed, but with no reason. I started 'hald' manually and it ran
> but still did not automount the drives. I decided to try to
> disable SElinux from boot by appending selinux=0 to the grub
> command, and that worked, 'hald' was running and when attaching
> the USB drives they mounted as expected. I have greped the logs
> and still can not find any errors, relating to 'hald'. I have
> not run SElinux in enforcing mode since I installed FC5, and
> that was a disaster until I set it to permissive. SElinux is
> like black magic wizardry to me, and although I understand
> why it is a good thing to have and use, I have not been able
> to take the enormous amount of time it will take to figure out
> how to manage or debug it. I am quite surprised that the problem
> with 'hald' has not come up before.

If you're going to be just plugging random USB drives, you're likely
using a desktop. Just a firewall may be enough for you. use
system-config-secuirtylevel to disable Selinux.

> I have never had any luck with bugzilla, and do not intend to
> waste my time again with it.

That's not very helpful. Do you have any logs with the issue at least?

> If others are having the same problem
> I am and they wish to file a bugzilla, all my best regards to them.
> All I can offer at this time is a workaround to the problem, which
> is to disable SElinux, but setting it to permissive may also work.

Do you have any evidence we can work with?

( www.pembo13.com )