Grub Manual

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Oct 19 00:49:48 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 12:29 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Figure 3:
>> title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
>>         root (hd0,5)
>>

>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^  GRUB's "root"
>

>>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
>>

>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  OS's root
>
> And there's another root, the /root home directory for the root user.
>

>>  From our work above we are not interested in the title but we want to
>> figure out what the root is.
>>

> You *need* to reword your descriptions, *very* *precisely*, and
> *accurately*.  Also, producing a ready-reckoner brief cheat sheet about
> something isn't really a manual.
>
> GRUB has its own structure, its "root" is only used by it (as a root) to
> choose which software to boot.  The OS has a different directory
> structure, its "root" is different than GRUB's.  GRUB's root is
> typically a boot sub-directory off the system's root.
>
> The GRUB info file is fairly good, just a monster to navigate.  Trying
> to simplify what it says is dumbing it down.  Untangling the navigation
> would be far more practical than simplifying it down to the point where
> it's only applicable to a few circumstances.

    Not what I want to do. I want to add detailed examples on the proper
way to use Grub. What I put on the list is just a real small part of the
whole thing. But we got in a shouting match over whether grub is right
calling my boot partition root. I will not work in these conditions. I
will write my thoughts down and correct errors I make and then keep it
for my own use later.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User