kde 3.5.8 for fc6?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 19 02:59:19 UTC 2007

Olaf Mueller wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:

> I am using CentOS for my server, and since I have changed to this
> distribution my server is rock solid. So I like CentOS very well, as a
> server, but not as a desktop pc. In my opinion CentOS (5.0) doesn't
> support enough hardware to use it on *my* desktops. For example one of
> my desktop pcs has 4 scsi scanners with 4 different scsi cards for
> fast simultaneous scanning. CentOS 5.0 only recognizes *1* of the 4
> scsi cards. This is very mysterious cause fc6 get all these cards very
> well and CentOS 5.0 is something like a offspring of fc6, isn't it?

Something like. RHEL5 is based on FC6, and of course C5 is based on RHEL.

It's work reporting as a bug against C5. It sounds like the sort of
thing that should work in RHEL - basically you're within the limits of
what an Enterprise user might do.

> Also the soundchip of my Toshiba Tecra notebook isn't supported any
> more by CentOS 5.0 (and centosplus kernels) cause of missing isa sound
> modules in the kernel. Fc6 supported this soundchip very well.

If that's an enterprise sort of notebook (and maybe if it's not), that's
worth reporting too.

> It will be very difficult for me to change a desktop that makes such a
> great job. But it makes for me no sense to use a software over its
> point of EOL.
> On the other hand I am very happy to get a distribution like kubuntu
> for my desktop which has such a great kde support.

<-->

Problems I have with the Ubuntu family are the limited life of most
releases, and the vast array of unsupported* software (universe) it
includes.

* Supported in the Debian world means one gets security fixes. Debian
does security fixed for stable, but Ubuntu tends to build from Testing
and SID, and do the support itself.

--

Cheers
John