How can I prevent terminal boot messages from being cleared (SOLVED)

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Oct 19 04:27:18 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
: On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 17:29 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
: > In the past I've added "-- noclear" to the tty lines in
: > /etc/inittab like this:
: >
: > 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1 -- noclear tty1
:
: Is your problem simply that you've got a space between -- and the
: noclear parameter?  Try it with:  --noclear
:
: I'll have a go at this later, I don't want to reboot now, and I want to
: try something similar myself.  It's been quite a pain that the boot.log
: hasn't been usable for a few releases.

Yes, Tim, the space is one problem. The fact the "tty1" appears twice
is another.  The correct line is:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1

I must be asleep to have not caught the double "tty1".

Thanks.

Dean