Newbie Info

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Oct 19 16:45:11 UTC 2007

Danny Mooney wrote:
> Sorry about that Mr. Smith like I stated very new to linux and not only am I
> learning but have to teach others in household.
>
> Dan
> www.osagecountycycles.com
> www.immaculateconception-pawhuska.org
> www.nhs1967.com
> 918-287-4780

Hi Dan, what everyone means is that linux's default filesystems work
differently than NTFS does.  Ext3 (or 4) doesn't suffer from performance
degradation from file fragmentation like NTFS does.  With NTFS if you
get a high fragmentation level, you will see your system performance
almost disappear.  There /was/ a defragmenter for linux at one time, but
I do not know if it even exists any more.

In other words, you shouldn't need to worry about that in linux much at
all.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support