Does the font look weird on this site?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 19 22:42:02 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> That'll just depend on what fonts you have available on each, and how
>> your display is rendered.

Craig White:
> actually, that is not true any longer. It has become common for web
> designers to identify OS and Browsers being used and to offer different
> markup and stylesheets for the various browsers and OS's installed.
>
> Thus if you 'view source' you may see entirely different source
> depending upon these and other variables.

It's really an unnecessary convolution, just adding more chances of
getting it wrong.  There's too many variables for any one author to know
about, and too many compromises to have to make.

Author might think, Linux, he had Bitstream fonts.  Umm, no, I don't...

>> The moron side of that comes in two parts:  (1) not knowing that it's
>> stupid to do such a thing, and (2) not adjusting their own monitor for
>> their own prefences instead of stuffing up the page.

> what?

Typical attitude of some authors:  These fonts look too big, I'll write
the page to use smaller fonts.  There, that looks better...

It never occured to them that their display was enlarging their fonts,
and they should have set their display up properly, in the first place.

Now I have to contend with sites with microfonts and normal fonts.  One
looks too small, because it is.  The other looks too big, because I've
compensated for the former.

NB:  I should have said "display" not "monitor" in my prior posting.
Which means things like font rendering in their browser, not adjusting
scan widths in monitors.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386