Grub Manual

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Oct 20 06:10:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Tim wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 12:31 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > Doesn't it make you nostalgic for the MS-DOS/Windows notion of
> > drive letters?  Man, compared to this, that was simplicity itself.
> > 8^) 8^) (and just for emphasis) 8^)
>
> NO!  What drive letter will my second partition be today?  Will it
> be "d" (as I'd like), or "e" (because there's a CD-ROM)?  Will it be
> "f" because I plugged in another drive, even though I plugged it in
> later in the chain.
>
> Likewise for booting from a CD.  After doing so, the drive letters
> can re-arrange, especially if the CD installed some pseudo device.
>
> It's that sort of crap (shuffling positions) that made me dispair of
> the decision to make all Linux hard drives /dev/sd<something>.

that's why i prefer to use LVM, where the mount info is based on the
names i gave the logical volumes:

$ mount
/dev/mapper/f8-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/f8-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/f8-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/f8-usrlocal on /usr/local type ext3 (rw)

  and even if you're not using LVM, you can always still mount by
filesystem volume name; i just consider the "named" mount info a nice
bonus of using LVM.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA