BIOS problem?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Oct 20 12:16:35 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 18:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I have two hard drives in my computer. I have this F7 on a IDE hard
>> drive and while on this drive it is /dev/sda. No problem now but the
>> second drive is a Serial Cable type and it shows up as /dev/sdf.  No
>> problem with that either.
>>
>>     It all falls apart when I use the Serial Cable hard drive. It
>> becomes /dev/sda and the IDE becomes /dev/sdb.
>>
>>     I think the BIOS is doing this. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
>>

> When you switch to use the other drive, how are you doing the switch?
> BIOS menu, GRUB menu, something else?  If it's the GRUB menu, show us
> what you're currently using.

    What I plan to do is put F7 64 bit on the SATA drive today or
tomorrow. After it is working well I want to figure out how to boot the
SATA drive from the IDE drive grub. The problem with the hard drives
changing number may keep grub from working as I want it too.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User