NoMachines client access to Gnome on F7 (Alex)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 20 13:53:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 08:34 +0930, Tim wrote:
> J. Alex Aycinena:
> function
>
> Tim:
> >> It's simple enough to test, though.  Use the dig tool.  Ask the
> >> Linksys to resolve a machine name for you.
> >>
> >> Syntax: dig requestaddress @resolveraddress
>
> Aaron Konstam:
> > I am confused. When I do the above dig requests no ANSWER SECTION
> > appears.
>
> Two conclusions:
>
> a:  Are you making the request to the right device (is the resolver
> address the address of that device).  Try asking it to resolve the
> address of something on the public internet, like google.com
>
>     e.g. dig google.com @your-router-address

There is something missing in what you say. I assumed we were trying to
decide if my personal router is capable of being a DNS server. So the
first address I placed in the dig command was the address of my router.
Clearly my router is supplying the addresses to my machines through DNS.
At least I think that is clear. But no ANSWER SECTION appears.

Where I have gone wrong?
Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself. --
A.H. Weiler
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net