Transfer F7 partition to a new hard disk

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 18:02:13 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 18:53 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It was /dev/sdd1. I did not want to copy the two partitions of /dev/sdd.
> >
> > Okay, that's the problem.  You can't copy a single partition
> > (i.e. /dev/sdd1) to a hard drive (i.e. /dev/sda).  However, you can
> > partition /dev/sda and then dd from /dev/sdd1 to /dev/sda1.
> >
> > Just be aware that you'll have to run grub-install again to install grub
> > onto /dev/sda.
>
> I want to create two partitions in /dev/sda, both with the same size.
> How can I do that?
>
> Paul

You can either use fdisk or parted (assuming you have to do it all from
the command-line).  I'd advise you to use parted as it seems to be a bit
easier to use.  Type in 'h' at the prompt to get help.

Also, as Timothy Murphy mentions in another e-mail on this thread, using
"cp -a" is probably preferable for your situation.  I normally use dd if
I'm wanting to copy a complete system from one hard drive to another,
but if I'm only copying one filesystem, I would normally create a new
filesystem on the new hard drive and then use cp -a from the old
filesystem to the new one.

Jonathan