Transfer F7 partition to a new hard disk

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 18:08:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 18:57 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> > > I have just bought a new hard disk. Could someone please tell me how
> > > can I create a clone of my F7 partition in the new hard disk?
> >
> > Other people have suggested using dd.
> > I strongly advise against this.
> > I would use "cp -a" or rsync.
> >
> > I think the word "clone" is slightly misleading.
> > Presumably you want a copy which works in the same way as the original.
> > For that it is better to use "cp -a", and give the partition a new label,
> > with e2label, to avoid confusion.
>
> With the command
>
> cp -a /dev/sdd1 /dev/sda1
>
> ?
>
> Paul

Uh, not quite.  You want to:

1. Create a partition on the new hard drive (run "parted /dev/sda", and
   then 'h' for more details).  Make sure this partition is larger than
   the space you used on the old one.
2. run "mkdir /tmp/sda1; mkdir /tmp/sdd1"
3. run "mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/sda1; mount /dev/sdd1 /tmp/sdd1"
4. run "cp -a /tmp/sda1/* /tmp/sdd1"
5. run "umount /tmp/sda1 /tmp/sdd1"

Beyond that, we really need to know what exactly you're wanting to do
with this system.  I made the assumption early on that you were wanting
to move your system to a larger hard drive, but that doesn't necessarily
seem to be the case.

I'm afraid I'm going to be away from my computer for the next fourteen
hours or so, so if you still need help, others will have to give it.
Good luck,

Jonathan