Grub Manual

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Oct 20 22:38:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > > It's that sort of crap (shuffling positions) that made me dispair of
> > > the decision to make all Linux hard drives /dev/sd<something>.
> >
> > that's why i prefer to use LVM, where the mount info is based on the
> > names i gave the logical volumes:
> >
> > $ mount
> > /dev/mapper/f8-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
> > /dev/mapper/f8-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
> > /dev/mapper/f8-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
> > /dev/mapper/f8-usrlocal on /usr/local type ext3 (rw)
> >
> >   and even if you're not using LVM, you can always still mount by
> > filesystem volume name; i just consider the "named" mount info a nice
> > bonus of using LVM.
>
> Does this suffer from the same problem as filesystem labels if you
> create identical names on two machines and subsequently move the
> volumes to a single machine?

i've never tried, but i imagine it would, but only if you use exactly
the same names for volume group and logical volumes.  from the above,
on my single disk system, i created a volume group called "f8", inside
which i created several logical volumes whose names matched the
filesystems i created.  pretty standard stuff, it's the way i've done
it for years.

now, if you bring over another drive on which you created the same
volume group and same logical volumes, i imagine *something* is going
to clash eventually, but there's always "vgrename" to rename a volume
group before you do that.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA