GRUB discussion follow up ?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Oct 21 17:06:22 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Jacques B. wrote:

> ... And as Robert indicated, the 512 bytes is broken down as MBR for
> 446 bytes, 64 bytes for partition table (4 X 15), and 2 byte magic
                                               ^^ 16 :-)
> number \x55\xaa.  I spent a bit of time last Spring trying to figure
> out where in the MBR code was the info telling it where to get stage
> 1.5. I didn't spend any real significant time on it seeing it was
> way beyond what I had to understand so dropped it due to lack of
> time.  If you figure out that info I'd be interested.

the GRUB code in the MBR doesn't jump to the stage 1.5 code
immediately.  from memory (a long while back), more of GRUB is
installed in the remaining 20K of the hard drive after the MBR.  i
(vaguely) remember this when *i* was wondering how the hell GRUB
worked, and i perused the source of the grub install command.  that's
where i noticed more GRUB code being written to offset 1K -> 20K of
the hard drive.

in any event, /sbin/grub-install is a shell script on fedora, so it's
readable.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA