Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Oct 22 15:06:42 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> Paul Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to boot in the F7 partition, which is in /dev/sdc2 and
>>> /dev/sdc3 (it is lvm). What precisely should I do in order to be
>>> successful with booting in it?
>> I'm not sure exactly what you mean,
>> but can one boot from an LVM partition?
>
> last time i looked, grub cannot boot from an LVM logical volume.  has
> this changed at all recently?

GRUB has support for LVM and RAID since version 1.95. Multiple volume groups
don't work with GRUB 1.95 however. This bug has been fixed in CVS, so if you
have multiple volume groups you should get the latest version from CVS.

--
Suffocating together ... would create heroic camaraderie.
		-- Khan Noonian Singh, "Space Seed", stardate 3142.8