Upgrade from FC6 to F7: how do people do an upgrade?

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Mon Oct 22 17:45:43 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Strong <strong_yethumble at pochta.ru> wrote:
>
>> After upgrade from FC6 to F7 by simple insertion of a dvd and pressing
>> there upgrade, I have noticed more time is spent by my OS for login
>> window to appear, disk's work became harder and therefore system total
>> reply time incremented, my fonts dir. that I manually set up for X is
>> not used any more. Is all this ok for Fedora upgrade?
>>

> There are mixed results. Some have upgraded without any problems.
> Others have not.
>
> After several upgrades my personal preference is to backup data I want
> saved and, then, perform a clean install. This way the problems
> encountered are strictly related to the new distro; not interaction
> between new and old packages and/or old configuration settings.
>
> You are better off with a clean install.

    Whether you upgrade from the CD, from a repository, or by doing a
clean install, some or all of your customization will be lost.
Configuration files are either replaced during the upgrade, or syntax
(or file name) is changed to the point that the old configuration is not
recognized.  Part of the increased startup time you report may be the
result of increased error analysis / recovery.  Check log files for
unexpected messages.

    After any upgrade scan for .rpmsave or .rpmnew files and resolve any
differences between new and old configuration files.  Check for orphaned
packages and duplicate versions.  There are tools to help clean up
debris left over from old versions after an upgrade, but being a bear of
very little brain, I don't recall any names.  Check the archives of this
list for references to upgrade or cleanup.

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn