Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Oct 22 21:21:05 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 22/10/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, Mikkel, the disk from which I want to boot has the highest
>>> priority in BIOS..
>>>

>> OK - this gets a bit tricky, because when you boot from this drive,
>> it is no longer hd2 - it is hd0. So Grub will be looking for its
>> files in the wrong place. What I would do is edit your Grub
>> configuration file to reflect this.
>
>     map (hd0) (hd2)
>     map (hd2) (hd0)
>
>  in the grub.conf boot entry would achieve that. However, before that
> I would really suggest giving the "find /grub/grub.conf" command a
> try, to see on which mountable partition it finds the file.

I don't think mapping is going to help/be needed in this case. The
problem is that the mapping would be done after the point where it
is needed, because Grub would be looking for the config file on the
wrong drive, so it would never read it. It would work if you were
using another copy of Grub to chainload to this one, and you did hte
mapping in the first version.

Mikkel