How-to Detect Wireless Networks near me?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Tue Oct 23 11:42:11 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 06:57:40 Ludovic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed Fedora acouple days ago and I cannot get it to find my
> wireless network. When pluging the cable it is fine but I don't know how to
> find the list of Wireless networks near me (mine especially) and how to
> connect to it. I did manage to use the wireless once after obtaining an IP
> address using the cable but never was able to reproduce... I know I am just
> another newbiz :o)

Well, using kismet and iwlist you might be able to scan for almost all the
networks around you, even if they have an hide ESSID

Sometimes you can connect, and even get an IP address but nothing further,
that's probably cause you're being MAC filtered, in most cases this is easy
to bypass, that's another history.

All the best,
Manuel

--