not possible

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 23 18:06:10 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 06:28 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> LABEL=/ used by F7 only tells me that it is a partition. I have zero
>> information as to where it is.
>>

> While the default's bad, your own names can be much more descriptive.
>
> e.g. A label of "mainboot" for the boot partition on your main drive.
>

>> Replaced by "/dev/sda3" tells me exactly where it is.
>>

> No it doesn't.  Something like "/dev/hda3" would (the first IDE drive,
> third partition).  But "/dev/sda3" requires you to know which drive the
> computer considers is the first drive, at the moment.

    Well now that is something I did not know. I have been using fdisk
to tell me what is going on and if it says /dev/sdf3 I use mount and it
mounts /dev/sdf3 as I desired on F7. I got my SATA drive working as
/dev/sdf and it seems to be happy. Of course Grub thinks it is /dev/sdb
which is a real shock to me.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User