not possible

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 23 18:49:57 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 12:06 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:

>>> While the default's bad, your own names can be much more descriptive.
>>>
>>> e.g. A label of "mainboot" for the boot partition on your main drive.

>>> No it doesn't.  Something like "/dev/hda3" would (the first IDE drive,
>>> third partition).  But "/dev/sda3" requires you to know which drive the
>>> computer considers is the first drive, at the moment.
>>>

>>     Well now that is something I did not know. I have been using fdisk
>> to tell me what is going on and if it says /dev/sdf3 I use mount and it
>> mounts /dev/sdf3 as I desired on F7. I got my SATA drive working as
>> /dev/sdf and it seems to be happy. Of course Grub thinks it is /dev/sdb
>> which is a real shock to me.
>>
> ----
> it's sort of like you refuse to understand.
>
> /dev/sdX or /dev/hdX is a bios designation where:
>
> hda = primary controller master
> hdb = primary controller slave
> hdc = secondary controller master
> hdd = secondary controller slave
> hde = first additional controller master
> hdf = first additional controller slave
> etc.
>
> grub uses physical drives in the order that they are discovered
> [hd0] = the first drive
> [hd1] = the second drive
> etc.
>
> there is no link between the two since the bios designations remain
> constant whether there are devices there or not where grub only
> considers physically found drives and numbers them as it finds them.

    All that you wrote I already know and understand. But the fact that
/dev/hdXY is a known quantity but /dev/sdXY is not a known is news to me.

    If you can walk through why /dev/sdXY is not known it would help me.
Because I thought it is the BIOS that decides which is the first,
second, nth hard drive.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User