Working with VM's as a non-root user

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 23 19:36:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 13:27 -0400, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > What software are you using to run the virtual machine(s)?
> >
> > Vmware doesn't need root access to start or stop virtual machines.
>
> Thanks for that information.  I had been using QEMU.

If you can use kvm, then you can start and stop the qemu-kvm session as
a non-root user.  The rpm that I installed with didn't create the kvm
group, but once I did that manually, and added my user to the kvm group,
it works well, including networking.  I'm pulling the kvm rpm out of
rawhide and using it on F7.

Dave