New horizon's

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Oct 23 22:00:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Mark Haney wrote:

>> Now you really have me confused. "a system without directories"? From
>> where are you getting this information? I don't recall anyone saying
>> anything such as this.
>>

> I, too, am interested in this.  I know ext4 is the next version of the ext
> filesystem, but everything else mentioned by you has to my knowledge NOT been
> hinted at on any of the lists I'm on.  Facts, man, give us facts.

The only thing I have seen about a filesystem that does not use a
directory structure is blue sky handwaving from Microsoft.  (Also known as
a "database filesystem" in some accounts.)  How it would work is unclear.
How you would find anything is even more unclear.  (And how such file
systems would handle millions of files is pretty unclear.)

No one has implemented anything like this in any real usable fashion that
I know of.  It would take an incredible amount of work to get Unix/Linux
programs to use it correctly.  (Let alone secure it.)

Sounds like the worst find of FUD (vague FUD) to me.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.