New modem and iptables...

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 24 00:10:15 UTC 2007

Antonio wrote:

> Now I am using PPoE because I suceeded to change setting on the modem
> (using M$ Explorer, I don't know why but Save and Reboot doesn't work
> in Firefox!!!).

I've configured several Dlink (and other) devices using
Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox/Konquerer without problems, going back to my
aged dsl-300 - which IS a modem.

I don't dispute your problem, but it's not typical.

<>

> It is funny what happened because I changed my old modem (that had
> standard setting from my ISP, using PPoE) to an ADSL2+ modem (D-link I
> mean) and I thought that unplugging the old one and plugging the new
> one should make system works with no break, but it was not
> true!!!....I guess that also many Windows users shoul kill the
> Internet connection created  and let the modem manage connection!!!!
> As usual many useless pages on the manual, but no word about PPoE,
> bridging etc.....

If you'd set it straight to bridging, it would almost certainly have
been a drop-in replacement, with nothing to change.

Is your system working to your satisfaction now? I don't think I've seen
a solution to the original question, but if you're happy with how it's
working now, ....

--

Cheers
John