Top Posting Question

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 14:52:00 UTC 2007

Dear List,

Given that the preference on this list is trimming and
bottom/mid-posting, and that Thunderbird is one of the principle mail
agents used in the Fedora and Linux world, why does it always open
incoming emails at the top, and compose new emails with the cursor at
the top immediately ready to top-post?  Moreover, thunderbird appears to
have no user options to bottom post and view emails from the bottom (or
Usenet articles either).

I am trying to persuade a colleague of the evil of top-posting and he
has just beaten me up on exactly this point - *if* the Linux community
is to keen to discourage bottom posting, why don't the standard tools
work that way.  I was flabbergasted to find that he was right.  Why
doesn't thunderbird open at the bottom by default, with a user-option to
open at the top if you really want to ?

Jonathan