Dependencies missing ??

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:52:04 UTC 2007

On 24/10/2007, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just tried to upgrade/update the latest yum releases and I am getting
> the following errors.
>
> "Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> epiphany
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> devhelp
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> epiphany-extensions
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> yelp"
>
> When I try to install "gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5" the "=" sign is not
> recognized, nor is any other form of "gecko-libs-1.8.1.5" etc.
>
> Is the problem with me or with yum?

Learn how to use yum queries or use "repoquery" from yum-utils. Even
standard RPM queries point to the problem:

  rpm --query --whatprovides gecko-libs
  yum whatprovides gecko-libs
  repoquery --whatprovides gecko-libs

"gecko-libs" is a virtual package provided by the "firefox" package.
Due to a firefox update, everything that depends on an older
gecko-libs version is being rebuilt, too. It may be that not all
updates are complete yet. The new firefox, which provides a new
gecko-libs version, breaks the other packages' dependencies. Hence yum
refuses to install the updates.