How Can I Tell?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:06:19 UTC 2007

On 24/10/2007, Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com> wrote:

> I was running Fedora Core 6 x86_64 on a machine with AMD 64 x2 +5000 and
> 4-GB RAM.  I have a friend that was having some issues while attempting to
> install Fedora 7.  I decided to do a parallel install with him to see what
> the problem was (he needed cmake 2.4.7 for some robotics stuff he is
> doing).

In Fedora 7 package CVS, cmake has been updated to 2.4.7 in August
already. Is anything important in 2.4.7 compared with 2.4.6? Have you
opened a ticket at http://bugzilla.redhat.com already requesting an
update?

> We finally got his install correct, but found out that the cmake he
> needed would install without upgrading to Fedora 8 Test.

Often it is possible to install only specific packages from the
development repository and keep the rest of the stable dist:

  yum -y install cmake
  yum --enablerepo=development update cmake

If that doesn't pull in lots of updates from the development repo, it
would be fine for your friend's purposes.

> That brings me back to my issue.  I attempted to install Fedora Core 6
> (which had been install and running perfectly) and got to the last reboot
> (after the firewall and selinux, etc.).  When it rebooted I got a message
> stating that the video was 'out of range' and the boot stopped.  I do have
> a nvidia video card that has a Viewsonic 15" LCD plugged into it.  I
> rebooted with the rescue CD in and went looking for the xorg.conf and saw
> that there were none of the usual number I'm used to in there.  I installed
> Fedora 7 and the video is perfect, but there is an issue with mounting file
> system dung boot. I want to back to FC6 because it seems more stable to me.
> Any ideas why this video issue cropped up?  Where can I find the numbers
> I'm used to (600x400; 800x600; 1024x768; etc.) if I run into this again?

You could add them yourself, overriding the auto-detection: man xorg.conf

Alternatively, boot to run-level 3 and re-run "system-config-display".
Perhaps that way you can find out what is wrong. Apply all updates
first.