Dependencies missing ??

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Oct 24 18:12:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 19:52 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 24/10/2007, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Just tried to upgrade/update the latest yum releases and I am getting
> > the following errors.
> >
> > "Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> > epiphany
> > Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> > devhelp
> > Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> > epiphany-extensions
> > Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> > yelp"
> >
> > When I try to install "gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5" the "=" sign is not
> > recognized, nor is any other form of "gecko-libs-1.8.1.5" etc.
> >
> > Is the problem with me or with yum?
>
> Learn how to use yum queries or use "repoquery" from yum-utils. Even
> standard RPM queries point to the problem:
>
>   rpm --query --whatprovides gecko-libs
>   yum whatprovides gecko-libs
>   repoquery --whatprovides gecko-libs
>
> "gecko-libs" is a virtual package provided by the "firefox" package.
> Due to a firefox update, everything that depends on an older
> gecko-libs version is being rebuilt, too. It may be that not all
> updates are complete yet. The new firefox, which provides a new
> gecko-libs version, breaks the other packages' dependencies. Hence yum
> refuses to install the updates.

Until those dependencies are fixed, "yum --exclude=firefox* update" will
give you all valid updates except the broken firefox stuff.  I just did
it.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -