/dev/sda and /dev/hda

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Oct 24 18:21:33 UTC 2007

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
>  > >

>>> Please clarify how you're choosing which device to boot.
>>>
>> BIOS or GRUB?
>>
>>> If GRUB, please show us your current configuration.
>>>
>> Remapping options
>>
>>> may confuse things, for instance, and may not be needed.
>>>

> There was a long thread on this when F7 was in test.  I
> seem to recall that the final recommendation for a dual/multi
> boot system was to put labels on all partitions (even the
> swap can take a label) and use the labels in the grub.conf
> file and the /etc/fstab file.  This should produce consistent
> results regardless of what SD gets assigned where.
>
> Bob Styma

    OK so you recall the Experts talking about the SD things being
changed at the whim of something. I will then send my Bug which will
explain what I am seeing and why it is so bad if your trying to
trouble-shoot a grub.conf. But I do see why you MUST use LABEL on F7.

    I am 72 years old and like Linux, and have used it for over 10
years. I like F7 but it may not matter because after I make a bunch of
label's I may loose touch with what I have. It also says I will not be
happy with more than one hard drive.

Thank you for verification of my experience.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User