USB drive on server?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 24 23:57:53 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> Some years ago, someone on one of these lists - probably back in
>> Valhalla's time, reported clobbering his cf first time he used it.
>>
>> Folk surmised it was because it was automounted with the sync option,
>> preventing writes from being cached.

It was a large one. Folk surmised the FAT filesystem requires lots of
writes.

> On the other hand, I read many reports of machines using flash drives,
> particularly for things like set-top boxes and audio devices
> (often based on VIA EPIA motherboards),
> where I presume there are many writes.
> I've never seen any kind of warning with these,
> or statement about limited life.

Take a look at ipcop, it's optimised for running from flash.

> There really seem very mixed messages on this.
> [I'm interested in a fanless server using a flash drive -
> I find the idea that there would be no moving parts attractive.]

I researched it some time ago. As I recall, expensive ones are okay,
cheap ones do not do well.

_I_ would consider a notebook drive, if you have a CF-IDE adaptor, maybe
a CF form factor spinning disk.

--

Cheers
John