fstab manipulation FC7

raagu _ ragavendra.bn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:13:53 UTC 2007

hi Dave and Chris,
  I added the lines to fstab
/dev/scd0        /media/DVD             iso9660    noauto        0 0
/dev/scd1        /media/CDROM        iso9660    noauto        0 0
  it worked just fine. There is another issue which has arouse now. There is
now shortcuts(came automatically) to my cdrom and dvdwriter which is not
working if I try to open it. It says 'Feature only available with HAL'

///////////
raagu _ wrote:
> hi,
>   I have the following entries in my fstab file. I want to add my 'dvd
> writer' and 'cdrom' entries as well in fstab. Could any1 let me know
> what should be added. I tried adding earlier and the system hung and
> had to do a hard reboot.

Anything in fstab will be mountfed at boot - if it isnt present then
boot fails. Not nice.

I think the way might be with udev rules.

DaveT.
////////////
Not true if you put the 'noauto' option in the fourth column of the
fstab file.  This then makes the values for such things as dvd and
cdrom easier to use with mount etc. but prevents any problems at boot
time.

For example I have:-

   //192.168.1.10/C        /home/chris/xp          cifs
noauto,user,password="" 0 0

in my /etc/fstab which mounts my vmware XP drive so it's visible from
Linux.  Obviously the XP guest isn't running at boot time so I have
the 'noauto' option there.  With the 'user' option as well I can just
say "mount xp" to get at my Windows XP files.

--
Chris Green