/dev/sda and /dev/hda

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 25 15:14:09 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Please clarify how you're choosing which device to boot.  BIOS or GRUB?
>> If GRUB, please show us your current configuration.  Remapping options
>> may confuse things, for instance, and may not be needed.

Karl Larsen:
>     First BOIS. It is all done automatically and both settings are on
> "auto". I can find no way to set them otherwise.

I take it, then that your "boot order" in the BIOS is set to boot from
the first IDE drive, and you don't change that setting to boot from
another drive, you use a GRUB menu for choosing the boot drive.

> title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
>         root (hd0,5)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> title Fedora (2.6.22.7-85.fc7)
>         root (hd0,5)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.img
> title Fedora (2.6.22.5-76.fc7)
>         root (hd0,5)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-76.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.5-76.fc7.img
> title Fedora f7-64
>         rootnoverify (hd1,2)
>         makeactive
>         chainloader +1
>
> As you see I call grub for the new f7-64 bit with chainloader. It looks
> like:
>
> #boot=/dev/sdb
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd1,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
>         root (hd1,2)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
> [root at k5di grub]#
>
> This is odd because to get the grub.conf on the f7-64 I had to mount -t
> ext3 /dev/sdf3.

Your second drive is an external one?  Or you're using PATA and SATA
drives on different host adaptors?

If you have other drives, such as CD or DVD, or memory card readers
(even if they don't have a card inserted), that could account for some
of the gap between sda to sdf.

The second grub has a "#boot=/dev/sdb" comment, and that may have got
the more logical second device (sdb) name because the hardware was
assessed differently by the install disc, than after the system is
running.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.