Printing: how to setup.

Strong strong_yethumble at pochta.ru
Thu Oct 25 16:52:25 UTC 2007

I got an old Epson's matrix printer connected to my laptop Dell
Inspiron 1501 at usb port through a converting cable (from lpt port).
Somehow with the help system-config-printer I have set it up to print.

But it does not work always - and there are hard times when I need to
print and I can not. I have noticed some magic with wither the cable is
inserted into usb port on laptop start or not, was the printer turned
on before the usb connector insertion or after, etc. From this magic
depends whether I have printing or I am in trouble since it refuses to
print. That is how it happens: I send to print from OO - the printer is
set to be default device a window appears that it was sent to be
printed, in KDE's printers (I use KDE) I see a job is hanging with
status 'processing...' and the printer does nothing.

So, what I want is:
1. Set it up the way it works *always*.
2. Tune it up with the margins printing.

Here are some questions I've got with this:
1. Which tool to use: I have at least 2 in my F7 (upgraded from FC6):
KDE's and the above mentioned system-config. Here is the problem: in
system-config I can not specify the device - now it is set as
usb://unknown/ Seems, it is /dev/usb/lp0 - but I do not how to set it
up there - may hence the printer does not work. Seems it works through
cups. In KDE's when it is fired up, informs that the printer has
unknown to the tool params and they will not be modified - since the
dilemma which tool to use.
2. How to specify (find out) the printer's device?

Thanks for answers if any.