Mounting SMB volumes from FC6/FC7

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 26 02:39:37 UTC 2007

I need to mount a share from a computer to get control data in and out.
With an old FC1 machine I can readily mount the share:

    mount -t smbfs //devcntl1/jobs /mnt/device-controllers/dev1

However, doing this on FC6 fails completely. Checking the release kernel
I noted that smbfs was not available by default, so I had to build a new
kernel with smbfs support. However, it still won't connect, so I'm a bit
blocked on a way to do this simple mount.

Search gave little information, other that newer Windows versions may
also speak CIFS, which the server in question refuses. Thought it might
be a superset, but tthe RFCs and tcpdump convinced me that no matter
what someone wrote these aren't the same protocol. The hardware and
operating system can't readily be upgraded, and the O/S is Win95RT, a
real-time version of Win95 used for device control.

I'm running an old machine with functional SMB support and then moving
the data to a current machine, but I have to feel there's a better way.

Doesn't this stuff get tested? I assume there's a way, but the fact that
it's not in the default kernel makes me suspicious that interoperability
may no longer be a priority.