Yum problem

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Fri Oct 26 19:59:57 UTC 2007

On Friday October 26 2007 1:17:30 pm Michael Semcheski wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26/10/2007, Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > I am the OP...  Just making light of the situation.  Its
> > > ironic to me that I need to hunt down dependencies to
> > > install yum.
> >
> > Only because you've killed several core packages like RPM.
>
> I'm glad you brought that up.  Do you have any idea how that
> could have happened?  (I'm 85% sure) the last thing I did was
> run 'yum -y update'.
>
> I'm very interested in preventing this from happening in the
> future.  But how?

Don't run yum -y
That just lets it go into robot mode - all confirmation queries
in the normal yum process are answered with an auto 'y' key
code. If you don't use the -y option, you get a confirmation
dialog which you can minimally glance at and see if anything's
amiss - it will tell you if it's going to remove something and
give you the chance to say no.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA