BIOS upgrading

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 26 23:01:14 UTC 2007

Marcel Janssen wrote:

> I wonder how other fedora users upgrade their BIOS when they need it and would
> be happy to hear about other creative and preferably simple solutions (but
> leaving the floppy drive on my dusty shelf).

My newer systems can update the BIOS from within the BIOS.

other than that, I kinda like the idea of making a freedos (or drdos)
image in a 2.88 Mbyte floppy image and making a CD out of it. Done
properly, the CD seems to be a 2.88 Mbyte floppy addressed as A:, and
since most BIOS updaters figure on 1.44 Mbytes, 2.88 is heaps.

I have also (mis)used pcdos2000; I used to have an IBM disk or two, so
IBM's Drive Fitness Test was a handy and legitimate download.

drdos is a free download.
At least one hw (Dell or HP, likely both) vendor uses freedos in-house.

If a mobo requires Windows, I won't buy it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait