Backup with rsync

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Sun Oct 28 15:26:14 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've been using rsync to backup my desktop
> to another machine linked by ethernet.
>
> Actually, to date I have only been backing up
> my own files, and have had no problems.
> But I was thinking of backing up the whole system,
> and I discovered that I would have to allow
> root login with ssh.
> I know how to do this in the sshd config
> but would prefer not to do it if possible.
>
> Is there a simple way round this?

rsnapshot will do that for you, you can use a regular user account to
backup what you need, generally I symlink what I want backed up into a
/bak directory (/etc, /var/www, et al) and back it up that way.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support