nvidia

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 28 15:35:34 UTC 2007

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 28/10/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>     You might have a nvidia video card on your motherboard. There are
>> two choices here. Try to use the nvidia or turn it off and plug in your
>> old known video card. Today I wish I had done the latter because using
>> nvidia with f7 is a pain.
>>
>>     I really do not see a new Linux user ever getting his/her computer
>> working with nvidia. You need to go to the nvidia web page and get a
>> tarball and install it, not a new person's thing, or you can get 4 rpm
>> files and learn to use --nodeps at the proper time.
>>

> Firstly, Fedora will work out of the box with nvidia cards using the
> free/OSS drivers. They may not yet properly support 3D, but they do
> work and give you a graphical interface.
>
> At that point, if you do want the extra 3D glits, installing the
> proprietory NVidia drivers is as trivial as this:
>
> As root:
> 1) rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-7.rpm
> 2) rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
> 3) yum install kmod-nvidia
>
> That is ALL there is to it. You're making your life overly difficult.

    With those supplied with F7 my computer would not show a full screen
but one offset by about 70 degrees. And out of the box it has no pointer
on X windows. What is my computer?

    Well it is a SY-P4VGM v1.0  motherboard which has a nvidia video
card undefined in the small book they provide. A CD-Rom is included and
I will look at that. That is a SOYO motherboard at www,soyousa.com and I
will look for the nvidio name there.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User